Beer pushing for third place in Premier division

By Richard Honnor

18th Apr 2022 | Football

Beer Albion match report
Beer Albion match report

Beer Albion 1sts bounced back from last week's disappointing defeat at Lapford with a convincing 6-1 win away at Dawlish United in their penultimate Devon and Exeter Premier Division match of the season.

The Fishermen were quickly out of the blocks and after George Harwood's in-swinging corner hit the crossbar on five minutes, they took the lead on 16 minutes. Keeper Elliot Driver's free kick from inside his own half was inadvertently guided into the goal from 15 yards by Dawlish's centre back under pressure from Beer players in the box.

On 20 minutes Beer went 2-0 ahead when Tony Pinder, unmarked, firmly headed home Will House's cross at the near post after Beer had broken quickly down the left wing. It was almost 3-0 two minutes later when Charley Skilton's rasping 25-yarder missed the target by a whisker.

But on 25 minutes Beer were caught on the break after giving the ball away in midfield. A slick move down the left and a cross into the box enabled their forward player to finish clinically from 10 yards to reduce the arrears. 

For 10 minutes, the Fishermen went flat and and Dawlish went close to equalising when their striker fired narrowly over the bar after another incisive break down the left. 

Manager Mark Rooke shrewdly switched sweeper Liam Cox into midfield and this immediately re-energised Beer's play across the park. Cox was instrumental in Beer's third goal on 31 minutes when he linked up well with Taylor Rooke to create the opportunity for the Beer centre forward to slot the ball home from 8 yards.

Then on 43 minutes, following a free-kick for a crude foul on Rooke, Cox was brought down after a driving run into the penalty box. Pinder put away the spot-kick to increase Beer's lead to 4-1.

After the break, the spectators were treated to entertaining end-to end football. As the game drew to a close , the Fishermen went 5-1 ahead on 81 minutes when Brook Wilkins placed a shot into the corner after a driving run from Finley Rooke down the right. 

One minute later Taylor Rooke sealed the 6-1 victory when he finished a sweet 7-man passing move instigated by Wilkins in midfield.

Two-goal Tony Pinder and centre back Joe Adkin played very well for Beer. But man-of-the match for his two goals, hold-up play and work rate was centre forward Taylor Rooke.

Meanwhile at the Furzebrake in front of a 90 spectators, Beer Reserves completed their Division Two programme with a very good 3-1 victory against Newton St Cyres. St Cyres took the lead in the first half but the Fishermen equalised on 44 minutes through Jake Hales. Jacob Clode put Beer ahead on 55 minutes and Reece Best sealed the win on 81 minutes. 

On Wednesday evening Beer complete their league programme with an away fixture at Lyme Regis. The Fishermen's will want to avenge their 4-3 defeat at home to the Seasiders earlier in the season. A victory would guarantee a third place finish for the Fishermen ahead of both Kentisbeare and Lyme.


Related Articles

Beer match report

Fishermen fail to repeat cup victory over league leaders

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Sidmouth with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.